Balquhidder Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NN 53570 20920, map


Address

Perth
Scotland

Description

Balquhidder Parish Church

Construction materials: Stone (sandstone) - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

Balquhidder Parish Church is built close to the sites of two previous churches and sites connected with St. Angus. The Clach Aonghais - the flagstone from St. Angus' grave stands upright inside the church. The church is in good condition and is well maintained, although it has apparently always suffered from damp walls. The walls are built from a local porous metamprphic stone and it has a slate roof. The triple open bellcote contains a 20 inch bell in one of the lower openings. It was cast by John C. Wilson and Co of Glasgow in 1898. The bell from the older church, now a ruin, is preserved in this church. It was cast in 1684 by John Meikle of Edinburgh at a cost of £58 Scots and was one of his earliest bells. Researched by H. McNeill, compiled by J. Dowling, 28/7/03. Added to 10/11/04.

Burial ground


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1855)
    People: David Bryce