Aberdour Former Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 18970 85290, map


28 High Street

Also known as:

  • St. Fillan's Church Hall (1926)
    Converted into the church hall when St. Fillan's (site no. 2142) was restored.
  • Aberdour Parish Church (1790)
    Built to replace St. Fillan's Parish Church (site no. 2142), as the Countess of Morton did not like the populace of Aberdour coming to worship so close to Aberdour Castle.


This rectangular Georgian church was built in 1790 to replace the parish church of St. Fillan's (see separate entry), apparently because the Countess of Morton did not like the congregation from Aberdour gathering on a regular basis so close to her residence, Aberdour Castle. Set slightly back from the main road in Aberdour, the church is fronted by a flat coped rubble wall topped with iron railings, with an iron gate in the centre. A striking war memorial was built centrally against the principal south elevation in 1919. The central inscription panels with the names of the local men killed in both world wars are flanked by pilasters and above there is a round headed niche which contains a carved female figure holding a wreath. The church is no longer in ecclesiastical use. It was converted into the church hall in 1926, when St Fillan's Church was restored.  

There is a graveyard behind the church, surrounded by a mid height stone wall.    It is entered from the north through a large freestone gateway topped by a pediment on ground which slopes upwards to the north.   The early headstones date mainly from the early-mid nineteenth century and in the newer section of the graveyard  they date from the twentieth and twenty first centuries.

Description (exterior)

The church is built in coursed sandstone, with ashlar dressings and surrounds. The tall roof is slated and there is a central metal vent on the ridgeline. The south elevation faces the road and forms the main entry into the church. There are four large round-arched windows along the elevation, each with simple multi-plane glazing and interesecting timber tracery in the arches. The outer windows are shorter and have timber doors underneath, forming the entrances into the church. The fine war memorial, described above, dominates the south elevation and extends above the wallhead of the church. The harled west gable has a fifteen-paned timber sash and case window in the centre, at gallery level, and on the apex of the gable is an open round-arched domed birdcage-style bellcote with a tall metal weather vane finial.  The rear north elevation is also harled and devoid of windows or other features. There is a modern single-storey extension is at the west of the north elevation. Towards the east end of the north elevation is a bricked up square headed window. The east gable of the church is also harled and had a rectangular gallery window to match that in the west gable. However, this window has been blocked and rendered over and a small single-storey, slated extension has been built onto the gable. 

J Dowling 2017  

Description (interior)

The interior had mmost of its furnishings removed when it was converted into a hall in the 1920s. It is possible the original pews were re-used in the re-construction of nearby St Fillan's.

People / Organisations:

Church of ScotlandDenomination1790-1926


  • Church: Build/construction (1787 to 1790)
  • War memorial: Build/construction (1919)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1926)
    Converted into the church hall when St. Fillan\'s (site no. 2142) was restored.

Archive References:

Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M034380
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 3615
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 101237
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 7758

Bibliographic References:

Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988pp. 58-9