St. Andrew's Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 18720 93510, map


Address

Bank Street
Lochgelly
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

St. Andrews Parish Church, which was constructed in 1854-55 as a chapel of ease, sits back from the road in a walled precinct, which also contains a hall at the east end. Originally rectangular in shape, broad north and south aisles were added by architect Peter MacGregor Chalmers in 1915 and the broad north and south aisles and the hall which hides the eastern gable were added at this time..   There are porches on both the north and south walls, at the western end.   It closed in 2005 after 150 years as a place of worship.

St. Andrews amalgamated with the Macainsh church (site  7769), and Ballingry and Lochcraig Church (site  4608;which  is now called St. Serf's Benarty), to form St. Serf's church where worship is conducted from the old Macainsh church building (which is now called St. Serf's Lochgelly, site 7767).


Description

 
The building is constructed of sandstone and has a slate roof with red ridge tiles.     There is a bellcote at the eastern gable. The south aisle mirrors the north:   both have steep monopitch roofs which lead up the roof line of the central body of the church and three three-light rectangular windows.   Four dormer windows are on each of the north and south sides of the steeply pitched slate roof, each containing a two light window.

The western elevation (principal) has three pointed arch windows and a circular window towards the top of the wall and a stone cross finial at the top of  the gable. There is a sandstone porch at the western end of the southern elevation with a steeply pitched slate roof with red ridge tiles. The porch at the western end of the northern elevation which was heightened in 1915 by Chalmers, is a five sided structure with a door in its western elevation and small windows in the other sides.

There is a war memorial is located west of the western elevation depicting  names of those who lost their lives in the two World Wars and the casualties of the Iraq war.

People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Peter MacGregor ChalmersArchitect1915The building was enlarged and recast at this time under plans by Peter MacGregor Chalmers.
Church of ScotlandDenomination1855-2005This church was closed for worship in 2005.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1854 to 1855)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1915)
    The church was enlarged and recast at this time under plans by Peter MacGregor Chalmers.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M000244
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M001216
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 7770

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 314