Cellardyke Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 57310 03720, map


Address

Toll Road
Cellardyke
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

This church was built in 1882 in a residential district on Toll Road in Cellardyke, east of Anstruther.    It faces west.    The building consists of a galleried main cell with north and south transepts and a vestibule area to the west, a tower on the north east corner and a session house to the rear of the building.   The west frontage resembles the north face of Pittenweem Parish Church (site number: 1454), suggesting that they were designed by the same architect.
Of particular note is the small number of ministers who have served in the church;   only three ministers church ( Revd. James Ray, Revd. James Lee, and Revd. James Matthews) served for the first ninety nine years of the church's existence.   All three ministers are commemorated in stained glass windows in the church.


Description (exterior)

The church is built from red squared sandstone and has a Scottish slate roof.

The east elevation of the main cell faces away from the street and is partially obscured by ancillary buildings.   It has two stained glass windows.    The south elevation of the main cell has four windows, two of which have stained glass.   The west elevation is gable ended, with kneelered gablets on either side of the three central windows with decorative skew ends.    The gablets and the main gable are capped by small platforms with trefoils.   Below the apex of the main gable is a datestone, recessed in a circular opening.   The central three windows  have latticed glass below which are two pairs of lights.   Under the gablets on either side are pairs of trefoil headed lights and a single lancet, all with latticed glass.   The north elevation of the main cell has four windows with latticed glass.

The gable-ended transepts are towards the eastern end of the nave.   Both are supported by buttresses and are capped by trefoil finials.   On the exterior of the north transept is a circular opening containing a datestone.  Below this are two lancets.   The east and west elevations are without features.

The entrance to the church is an arched doorway in a west porch   The porch is gable ended, with a latticed window to the south and  butressed to the south;    and there are trefoil finials on the east and west gables.   

The three-stage tower is on the north west corner of the church.    It is capped by a crowstepped gable and Scottish saddleback slate roof which sits in a corbelled parapet.   A  doorway to the church is in the west elevation.    A stringcourse separates the first stage of the tower from the second.  Above this is a single latticed window.   Above the third string is a louvered arch and a round opening which has been blocked with wood.  The louvered arch is mirrored on the north, south and west elevations.


Description (interior)

The interior is carpeted and pewed, with a gallery above the vestibule to the west and a raised area below the organ to the east.    The organ is sited at the east end  between two stained glass windows.   In front of this are a communion table, a font and a pulpit.   There is a screen hanging in the south east corner of the church which is used during services.   The two stained glass windows which are now partly obscured by the organ are by Douglas Hamilton;   they depict St. Andrew and St. Peter.   On the western elevation the most easterly window depicts The Light of the World, and the other depicts The Lamb of God.

There is a modern L-shaped session house and ancillary facilities to the rear of the church


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1882-NOW
Mr James BrownArchitect1882

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1882)
  • Porch: Build/construction (1882)
  • Transept: Build/construction (1882)
  • Transept: Build/construction (1882)
  • Tower: Build/construction (1882)
  • Church: Installed (1905)
    New organ, replacing a harmonium.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 183282
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 7796

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Kilrenny and CellardykeWatson, H. D.1986p. 147.
Villages of FifeLamont-Brown, R.2002pp. 62-63.
Historic Royal Burgh of Kilrenny & Anstruther - Churches, Manses & SchoolStevenson, S (Ed.)2001ISBN:0-9536538-1-1 p.8