Lochee Ex Old and St Lukes Parish Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37910 31650, map


Methven Street Lochee
DD2 3F

Also known as:

  • Lochee Old & St. Luke's (1985)
    renamed after amalgamation of Lochee Old & St. Luke's
  • Lochee Old (1959)
    Renamed after amalgamation of Lochee East & St. Ninian's.
  • Lochlee St Ninian's PC (1929)
  • St. Luke's PC (1871)
    renamed after renovations by T. Cox


This parish church was built in 1828-1830 by David Neave near the works gate of a factory in Lochee. It was built as a Chapel of Ease. Re-modelling and repairwork were carried out in 1883. It united with Lochlee East Church in 1959 and then in 1985 it united with St Luke's Church. In 2006 it united with Lochlee West Church but it then closed, was sold and converted to flats.


It is a plain box kirk of polished ashlar sandstone with two storeys, shallow pilasters and ornamental cornice. Above is a pediment containing a round window. A three-stage stone spire rises above the pediment. The first stage is square with metal grilles at the round-headed openings. The second stage is octagonal with round windows. The spire itself has carved shells at the corners, metal ladder rungs on the north side and a finial. Inside, the bell is inscribed with 'Presented to the Lochee Chapel of Ease by the juvenile part of that village'. This bell was made by T. Mears, London. The church is in full ecclesiastical use. J. Dowling and K. Nichols

People / Organisations:

Mr T CoxOwner1871Also owner of Camperdown Works.


  • Church: Opening (1830)
    Opened as parish church of Liff 7 February 1830
  • Church: Addition (1884)
    A new hall was constructed by Alexander Johnston. The gable faces west on Bright St.

Archive References:

Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: Dundee burgh survey

Bibliographic References:

www.geocities.comJune 2008lochee churches