Fintry Parish Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 42230 33450, map


Address

Fintry Drive
Fintry
Dundee
DD4 9HE
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Mains of Fintry Parish Church

Introduction

The church is located on the corner of Fintry Road and Fintry Drive. St Luke's and Queen Street, Broughty Ferry, provided communion table, chairs, lectern and font following the union of the St Luke's and Queen Street congregations in June 1953. The alterations conducted from 1998 were on-going in 1999 and had reached a cost of £52,000, but were finished by the last visit in January 2013. It is in good condition and full ecclesiastical use.


Description

The roughcast brick buildings, arranged in an L-shape, are functionalist in design, with rectangular windows and grey slate, steep-gabled roofs. The front facade, consisting of the gable end, features a moulded cross. Access is by a flat-roofed, rectangular addition to the north-west side of the main church building, and by an arched doorway flanked by two arched windows in the more decorative concrete facade of the section connecting the two wings.


Events:

  • Opening in prefabricated hut. (1952 - 1 June)
  • Induction of first minister. (1953 - 25 February)
  • Construction of first building begins. (1954 - 29 September)
    Work cost £20,000.
  • Opening of first building. (1955 - 4 September)
  • Congregation achieves full status. (1959 - May)
  • Opening of current building. (1968 - April)
  • Church tower demolished. (1996)
    Church tower demolished due to structural problems.
  • Alterations conducted. (1998)
  • Rededication service. (1999 - 21 November)