Kingswells Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NJ 86940 06250, map


Address

Old Skene Road / Fairley Road
Kingswells, Newhills
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
AB15 8QA
Scotland

Introduction

This Victorian church was built by architect John Hay in the 1850s and was originally a Free Church. It is located in an urban context in Newhills, a suburb of Aberdeen and west of the city centre. There is a modern urban duel-carriageway just to the north of the church and private housing alongside and to the south. A car park to the east is used by the church and by the community who use the church halls.  


Description (exterior)

The church is rectangular on plan, with an east porch and later attached halls to the north. The church has unusual and striking stonework, composed of rounded field stones set into a mortar base, with a wider granite base course and rock-faced corner stones (quoins). The roof is slated.

 

The east elevation of the church is 5-bay, with small trefoil-headed windows and a small, gabled porch, which has a pointed-arch doorway. The double-leaf wooden door has decorative metal hinge plates. The south gable of the church has a central group of trefoil-headed windows, which have decorative stones above, as well as a large decorative relief arch in the gablehead. This arch of granite stones spreads the weight of the roof and wall around the weaker windows. Mounted on the top of the gable is a gabled bellcote with a pointed-arch opening. The west elevation has similar trefoil-headed windows as found in the east elevation. There is also a small vestry towards the north end with a pointed-arch doorway and very small trefoil-headed windows. There is a large hall complex attached to the rear (north) of the church, which are built in a sympathetic design with pointed-arch windows and slate roofs. 


Description (interior)

The interior of the church is plain and open, with the wooden beamed roof on display and the plastered walls painted a cream colour. The nave has simple, original wooden pews, divided by a central aisle or passage. The sanctuary or chancel is at the north end of the church and raised from the nave by two steps. A simple wooden octagonal pulpit stands in the north-west corner and the open-sided communion table stands in the centre of the chancel with Elders' chairs behind. A small, ornately-carved lectern is placed towards the front of the chancel. 

 

The church has a number of 20th century stained glass windows. Two tall stained glass windows are placed in the north gable, behind the chancel. They were inserted in the late 1950s to mark the centenary of the church (1858) and depict Christ in the Crucifixion and Resurrection. Two smaller nave stained glass windows were inserted in 2009 and are memorial windows to members of the congregation.  

 

Attached to the north end of the church are a series of halls and rooms, which are used by the church and the local community. They include halls, meeting rooms, a kitchen and toilets. 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
John HayArchitect of the church1857-8

Events:

  • Church built (1857 to 1858)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 7877
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 15683C(S)-listed
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: RCAHMS NJ80NE 76
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 149911

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The Third Statistical Account of Scotland: The County of Aberdeen1960s