St Clements Parish Church, Dingwall

National Grid Reference (NGR): NH 54940 58960, map


Address

Dingwall
Ross and Cromarty
Scotland

Description

St Clements Parish Church, Dingwall

Construction materials: Stone - Used for walls; Slate - Used for roof;

This church was built between 1799 and 1803 by George Burn of Haddington. The church has harled stone walls and a slate roof. It is in good condition and in full ecclesiastical use. The church is surrounded by a burial ground, which contains a decorated Pictish stone. The collection of vaults that house the fragments of an early church here are in a very bad state of repair. The fabric contains an important effigy of a warrior, now under a ton or so of fallen stone. St. Clements is a Norse Saint and his few dedications are generally found at old Norse trading posts. Compiled by J. Dowling, 4/3/2004.

Burial ground

Carved stone


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1799 to 1803)
    People: George Burn, Haddington