Burgher Kirk, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50600 16540, map


Address

Imrie's Close
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9EG
Scotland

Introduction

The Burgher Kirk congregation used a number of buildings and rooms in St Andrews during their history. In the mid 18th century they used an early 18th century building, which was originally built as a barn and stable. It was used as a kirk from 1749 to 1774 before they found larger premises. In 1954 the building was reconstructed by the St Andrews Preservation Trust and turned into a house, which it remains today. It is located in a small wynd or lane off South Street and close to the West Port and the medieval core of the town.


Description (exterior)

The former barn and stables is fairly typical of the vernacular buildings of that period found across Fife. It is a two-storey structure with fairly low walls and a crowstepped, pantiled roof. The rubble walls have been lime rendered and painted. The principal elevation is the east face, which features a central rectangular door with case and sash windows of different shapes and sizes on either side (all have modern glazing).

Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Burgher ChurchDenomination1749-1774
Gillespie and ScottArchitect1950-1954architects. Converted to residence.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1700se)
    Built as a barn and a stable.
  • Church: Opening (1749)
    Church opened.
  • Church: Closure (1774)
    ceased use as church
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1950 to 1954)
    Converted to a residence.
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (b1749)
    Converted for use as a church.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-108-992-CImage Rights: Edwina Proudfoot
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8047

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 403.