Former St Mary's Church, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50600 16700, map


Address

St. Mary's Place
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9XD
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Victory Memorial Hall (A1907)
    The building became known by this name after it was converted to a hall and as a Memorial to the First World War.

Introduction

St Mary's Church was built by William Burn of Edinburgh in 1839, on the south side of St Mary’s Place. It sits on slightly raised ground near the centre of St Andrews with other mainly 19th century buildings on either side. It was built to accommodate the growing congregation of the town's Holy Trinity Church in South Street but fell out of use after Holy Trinity was extended in 1907. It was converted into a community hall and was re-named Victory Memorial Hall to commemorate soldiers killed in the First World War. It is still in use as a hall and hosts a wide variety of events and is used by several local groups.


Description (exterior)

The former church is a rectangular building, aligned approximately north-south. It was built in sandstone rubble and has a slate roof. Later alterations, including the insertion of a second floor into the building, has led to a number of external changes, including alterations to the tall side windows and the front and rear gables have been harled with new windows inserted.

The north gable is the principal elevation of the former church. The original shallow porch with its wide round-arched doorway and flanking buttresses survives, with the ashlar sandstone left un-altered. There are also two-stage sandstone buttresses at the corners of the gable. The rest of the gable has been harled and a later large rectangular timber window has been inserted to the centre. This replaced an original three-light pointed arch window, the outline of which can still be seen in the harling. Two smaller rectanguoar case and sash windows at first floor level appear to be original. The east and west side elevations of the building feature robust buttresses with tall round-arched windows inbetween. These windows have been much-changed after the insertion of a later floor into the building. The northern-most windows have been blocked and the upper portions of the other windows have been altered with the insertion of rectangular frames and glazing. The rear (south gable) was inaccessible.

J Dowling 2017

This is a rectangular building, without a tower, with harled walls and a decorated sandstone arched doorway which now forms part of a modern frontage with wood and glass. The north front had a three light Georgian window, now covered over, but still visible through the harling.   The east and west walls are buttressed. The interior has been little changed, apart from the insertion of a floor to give a second large floor area.


Description (interior)

The interior of the former church was altered when it was converted into a hall. The pews and sanctuary were removed and a new floor was inserted to create a first floor. This floor has a raised stage area and can be used for a variety of events. The original roof structure with metal ties and roof lights remains.

J Dowling 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1840-A1907
Mr William BurnArchitect1839-1840
Saint MaryDedicatee1839-1907

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1839 to 1840)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (a1907)
    Converted to a hall.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: L001926
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 93165
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-108-993-CAbby Hunt
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8048

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 397
http://www.edenchurchstandrews.org/index.html2006