Congregational Church, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50700 16600, map


Address

35 Bell Street
St Andrews
Fife
KY16 9UX
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Eastern Star Hall

Introduction

A Congregational Church was built in 1854 by architects Andrew Kerr and Jesse Hall on Bell Street, in the centre of St Andrews. The church was a large double-gable fronted building of grey sandstone with steps at the entrance. It was demolished in 1983 and shop units with appartments above were built on the site of the church. 


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Congregational UnionDenomination
Mr Andrew KerrArchitect1854
Jesse HallArchitect1854

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1854)
  • Church: Opening (1854/12)
  • Church: Closure (1966)
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1983)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 92209
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M007171Congregational Church, St Andrews.
Records of St Andrews Congregational Church, St Andrews, FifeReference: GB 227 ms30326-30344

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
St Andrews:City by the Northern SeaLamont-Brown, R.2006