St Peter's Chapel, St Andrews

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51300 16800, map


Address

North Street, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9QT
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

Medieval records in St Andrews, including the Chartulary of the Priory and a monastic document of 1212, refer to a St Peter's Chapel being present in the town at this time. The foundations of a building with column bases and a number of long cist burials were found in the garden of 3 North Street during building works. It has been suggested that this could be the site of St Peter's chapel. The site is close to the town's Cathedral and former market place, at the eastern end of North Street.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

 

Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Pre-reformation Church of ScotlandDenominationC1560

Events:

  • Chapel: Excavation (1887)
    Building works in the back garden of this house unearthed a demolished building, possibly of a Romanesque chapel. The pieces found included columns and carved stones. Under this debris were burials that included long cists

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8051