St Andrews Episcopal Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 50500 16900, map


Address

North Street
St Andrews
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

An Episcopal church dedicated to St Andrew was built on a site at the west end of North Street and was completed in just over a year, opening in September 1825. The architect was William Burn, who later went on to build Madras College in the town. It was built at a cost of £1486, a large amount for a small congregation who had an income of around £90. The church was aligned north-south, rather than the usual east-west to enable the building to fit the site.

The church has a particularly interesting story in that it no longer stands in St Andrews, but was taken apart, slate by slate and stone by stone and moved and rebuilt in Buckhaven, in the south of Fife. This was in 1870 when a new, larger Episcopal Church was opened in Queen Street to accomodate a rapidly increasing congregation. The rebuilt church in Buckhaven became a Free Church (see separate entry) but has since closed as a place of worship.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The building was of stone with a slate roof.   It was just over 20 metres long by 10 metres wide. Small transepts, each approximately  4 metres wide, were built east-west, forming a cruciform plan.    The windows of the church had hoodmoulds,  and the frontage featured pinnacles. The interior was divided into a nave, transepts and aisles, with pine pews. The walls were painted  and had lines inscribed into them to give the appearance of ashlar masonry.   An organ was installed some years later in the east transept a window in the being replaced by a glass door to allow access to it. By 1853 the church's congregation had increased to such an extent that the north front was extended as far as the street. This included an impressive Gothic frontage designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. A new church was planned to finally solve the issue of the growing congregation and work began on the site in  Queens Gardens in 1870.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Episcopal ChurchDenomination1825-C1866
Mr William BurnArchitect1824-1825
Sir George Gilbert ScottArchitect1853Addition to church.
Saint AndrewDedicatee1825-1866St Andrew's day is on 30th November. He is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia and Greece and is also the patron saint of fishermen. The Saltire (national flag of Scotland) is so called because of the x-shaped cross that appears on it, which represents the cross that Saint Andrew was crucified on.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1824 to 1825)
  • Church: Consecration (1825)
  • Church: Opening (1825/9)
  • Church: Addition (1853)
    New front.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1870)
    This church was dismantled and replaced by a new church, built in Queens Gardens (site no: 4723).
  • Church: Removal (c1870)
    The church was dismantled and moved stone by stone to a new site in Buckhaven (site no. 4638)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 104207
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 104207St Andrew's Old Episcopal Church.
Miscellaneous notes relating to St Andrews Episcopal Church, St AndrewsReference: GB 254 MS 219
Records of St Andrew's Episcopal Church, St Andrews - HardcopyReference: GB 227 msdep47
Map Collections - Online databaseReference: Sheet 3Town Plan of St Andrews, 1854 Scale: 1:1056
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8052
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M022708

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
St Andrews:City by the Northern SeaLamont-Brown, R.2006p. 165-171