Strathkinness Free Church (now Strathkinness Village Hall)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 45880 16210, map


Address

Strathkinness Village Hall
30 Main Street, Strathkinness, Fife. KY16 9SB
Strathkinness
Fife
KY16 9SB
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Strathkinness Village Hall (1938)
    After the United Free Church and The Church of Scotland were joined in 1929, the building went out of use. It was bought by the village in 1938 for £75.

Introduction

Strathkinness Free Church was built in 1867 on the west side of the main street that runs north-south through the village. It faces east towards the centre of the village, and has been the village hall since the 1930s, when it was bought by the village for £75 after it had closed as a church. Cottages mostly of 19th century date are built on either side of the church and a recent development in the field opposite has led to a mixture of single and two storey houses being built in the early 2000s. The forme church is still in use as a hall and hosts a variety of local groups and organisations.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)

The church was built of squared sandstone rubble and roofed in Scottish slate with broad eaves.  It is a simple, rectangular building with Gothic detailing and a small bellcote on the east gable top. It consists of the nave and a porch entrance at the east end. A recent extension  has recently been completed on the south side with sandstone coloured manufactured blocks.

 

The east gable is the principal elevation. A wide lean-to porch with a tall, gabled doorway to the centre forms the main entrance into the building, which is set back from the road slightly with a gateway and boundary walls. Above the porch are two large pointed-arch windows that have been blocked at a later stage. A truncated bellcote rises slightly above the apex of the east gable. It is possible the bellcote was originally taller with a bell hung in an opening, but which was removed either for safety reasons or to reduce future maintenance costs. The side walls of the former church feature tall, narrow pointed-arch windows that reach the wallhead. The glazing has been replaced in recent times with modern pvc-type windows. The central window in the south elevation has been extended to the ground to form a new doorway, which provides easy access to and from the small gabled extension alongside. It would appear this extension can be accessed from within the original building too.

J Dowling 2017


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Relief ChurchDenomination1801-1816There are early references to a Relief congregation at Strathkinness, approximately 50 years before the church was built.
Burgher ChurchDenomination1818The Burgher Presbytery of Perth and Dunfermline prepared for a church at Strathkinness.
Ralph RobbClergyman1827-1843The Burgher congregation was organised in 1827 and Robb was ordained as minister in 1827. He left for the Church of Scotland in 1839. He left the session in 1843.
Free ChurchDenomination1843-1900Approximately 24 years before the church was built on Main Street, there are records of a dissenting congregation at Strathkinness.
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929Following the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterians, the church became Strathkinness United Free Church. By 1908 the site was little more than a preaching station.
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929Following the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, the church building went out of use and the Parish Church (site number: 7800) became the only church in the village.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1867)
  • Porch: Build/construction (1867)
    The porch was built.
  • Church: Addition (2002 to 2003)
    A Heritage Lottery grant allows for an extension to the building at the rear.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Records of Strathkinness Associate Session, Free Church and United Free Church - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH3/291
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8055

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 413