Albert Square United Free Church, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40260 30430, map


Address

Chapel Street
Albert Square
Dundee
Angus
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Gaelic Free Church

Introduction

The main access to this city centre site is on the entrance path to a shopping centre. The surrounding area is banking and commercial outlets. This three storey church was built in the Italian style to a cost of £6000 with 700 seats.

K. Nichols


Description (exterior)

The church's classical proportions are mostly hidden as the main elevation faces directly onto another building. Its door has pillasters and a fanlight that is white framed. Although all the windows are rectangular the third storey has three round-arched windows directly above the door. The south elevation offers functional architecture rather than ecclesiastical. The north elevation had maintenance work carried out to it in 2008. The congregation was predominantly Highlanders and this was the only church to conduct its services in Gaelic. Its present use is uncertain, although it is no longer in ecclesiastical use.

K. Nichols


Description (interior)

The interior is thought to have been largely stripped out when it ceased to be used for worship.


Events:

  • Church: Opening
    November 1869

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8064
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital archive

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Victorian Dundee at WorshipIan McCraw2002
Dundee: an Illustrated Architectural GuideCharles McKean and David Walker1993P46-7
The Kirks of Dundee Presbytery 1558 - 1999Ian McCraw1999