Culross Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 98720 85920, map


Address

Cunninghame House
Low Causeway
Culross
Fife
KY12 8HL
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Cunninghame House
    Now known as Cunninghame House (private flats).

Introduction

Culross Free Church is no longer a place of worship and was converted into a private house, Cunninghame House, some time ago. It is situated along the main road through Culross and is rectangular in plan. The south, north and east (main) elevations are built close to the roadside. The Wee Causeway road runs to the rear of the building and is paved with the original setts. There is a tall rubble boundary wall to the rear (west) elevation with a blocked doorway, which encloses a private garden. The principal elevation (east) is of tooled coursed sandstone and is of symmetrical design. The corniced bellcote retains its bell. The building of the Free church was financed by Mr Cunninghame of Balgownie.


Description (exterior)

The church is ashlar and rubble built with a slate roof.   Repairs to the roof are indicated by patches of red replacement slates.

The entrance elevation (east) has a central square headed four panelled timber door with rolled margins, ledge above the doorway and modern entryphone system. There is a corniced bipartite window above the doorway with chamfered stone mullions and a decorative surround to the cill with key hole/Grecian type detailing. A narrow slit is in the gable apex, below the ashlar bellcote. The bellcote has a corniced base with curvilinear top with bell.

A pair of bipartite windows flank the main door also with stone chamfered mullions and decorative details to the lintels. The windows have four lights, with ten panes to the lower section and eight panes to the upper section. The privacy glazing is of a contemporary cubic design. There are flanking pinnacles to the wallhead, with raised skews and kneelered skewputts.

Along the main roadside to the south is an advanced gabled porch with raised skews to the west end, with door to the right in the right return and single sash style window with nine pane privacy panel to the south wall. There is an original cast iron foot scraper to the right hand side. The porch has a duo pitched roof of 'foreign' slate. There are three tall square headed windows with six panes to upper and nine to lower, all glazed with replacement privacy glass as elsewhere on the building.

The western wall has a single tall window, glazed in privacy glass with twenty panes. There is a narrow ventilation slit to the apex and a stone square decorative finial at apex.

Abutting the Wee Causeway, the northern wall is of roughly coursed sandstone block with chiselled pointwork to the blocks and window margin which have horizontal tooling. There are large stone slabs to the base course to assist with drainage and the road is laid with orginal setts. There are a number of later insertions associated with the conversion into domestic use, including ventilation caps, soil stacks and boiler flues. There are four windows with privacy glazing, with nine panes to the lower and six panes to the upper.

The roof has been patched during the conversion, with replacements in reddish slate. There are several 'velux' type windows to the roof to the north and south elevations which are of non conservation style and inserted on conversion to domestic use.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Mr CunninghameBenefactor1847
Free ChurchDenomination1847
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1847)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1988B)
    Converted into four private flats.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 104250
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 48808
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8090

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Romantic Culross, Torryburn, Carnock, Cairneyhill, Saline and PitfirraneCunningham, A. S.1902pp. 44-45
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 151