Former Catholic Church
National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 27490 90290, map
Also known as:
- Catholic Church (1946)
This building was a catholic church from 1946 until 1979.
- St. Columba's Church (1906)
This church which was built in 1906, was originally an episcopal church called St. Columba's. In 1946 the building was sold to the Catholic Church.
- Pratt Street Church
This small church was built as St. Columba's Episcopal Church in 1906, opposite Raith Rovers' stadium, and was sold in 1946 to the Catholic Church. It sits on an elevated site, slightly set back from the road, and has now been converted to domestic use. Much of the original character of the church has been removed including the spire, ventilator in the roof and lancet windows.
The building is currently harled with a slate roof.
The west elevation presents a gable to the street, with an entrance porch to the right. Originally, the gable contained two large lancet windows with Y tracery beneath a timber framed panel in the gable and cross at the apex. The windows were removed, presumably upon conversion to a domestic use, and replaced with a single modern window at ground floor level. he entrance porch projects to the right, and originally supported a small spire in the re-entrant angle with an ogee-capped bellcote. There was a pointed-arch doorway with two small round-headed windows to the right. The spire has been removed and the porch has since been extended outwards and a dormer extension added.
The north and east elevation were not accessible and the south elevation is not completely accessible either. It is clear, however, that the original windows of the church have all been replaced with modern fenestration including some velux in the roof. An ogee-capped ventilator which originally sat towards the rear of the roof ridge has also been removed.
People / Organisations:
|Mr John Daniel Swanston||Architect||1906|
|Mr William Syme||Architect||1906|
|Swanston and Syme||Architect||1906||Architects' Practice|
- Church: Build/construction (1906)
|Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline database||Reference: 8129||Ann Watters|
|CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - Hardcopy||Reference: 8129||Ann Watters|
|Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online database||Reference: MO34316|
|Kirkcaldy\'s Churches Brief Histories||Kirkcaldy Civic Society||1999||p. 47|
|Kirkcaldy Walkabouts: Links Street||Kirkcaldy Civic Society||p. 13|