Leuchars Free Church (now Henderson Hall)

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 45190 21580, map


Address

Henderson Hall
97 Main Street
Leuchars
Fife
KY16 0HF
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Leuchars Free Church (1895)
  • Henderson Church

Introduction

This building was built as a Free Church in 1895, having been designed by the architect David Henry, and is now used as a hall.  It is situated at the roadside between residential buildings, which obscure the south, west and north elevations.


Description

The building is composed of grey rough faced stonework which is coursed and bound with tooled quoins and arch surrounds.    It has a pitched slate roof with a base to a bellcote which has been removed to the apex of the east gable.   


The building is entered through a raised doorway on the east side, which has a semicircular arched head.    The two windows on either side of the door are glazed with clear glass.  

 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free ChurchDenomination1895
United Free ChurchDenomination1900

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1895)
  • Church: Union (1903 to 1913)
    United with Guardbridge Parish Church.
  • Church: Installed (1936)
    Electric lighting installed.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: 232141
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8132
CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - HardcopyReference: 8132

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
http://www.genuki.org.uk/Genuki2006Online parish information See Leuchars Church History.