Pitreavie Castle Chapel

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 11750 84860, map


Address

Castle Drive
Dunfermline
Fife
KY11 8FX
Scotland

Introduction

Introduction

Pitreavie Castle was built c.1630 for Sir Henry Wardlaw of Balmule, who had acquired the lands in 1608.   After several changes in ownership the castle was abandoned in the mid eighteenth century, before being bought by the Beveridge family in 1885.    It was altered and extended at this time and these works included the installation of a private family chapel.   In 1938 the castle became the headquarters for the RAF 18th Group Coastal Command.    In recent years the building has been converted into private accommodation.


Description

The chapel was on the first floor on the eastern side of the castle. The walls were oak panelled and around the top of the panelling were carved quotations from the Bible. When the castle was used as the RAF headquarters the chapel was used to house the squadron standards.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Henry BeveridgeOwner1885-1938Owner of Pitreavie castle 1884-1938 Carried out alterations in 1885 which included the installation of a private family chapel.
Mr Charles George KinnearArchitect1885Alterations for the Beveridge family.

Events:

  • Chapel: Build/construction (1630)
    Pitreavie Castle was built in approximately 1630.
  • Chapel: Installed (1885)
    Henry Beveridge bought the castle in 1885 and carried out renovations, these included the installation of private chapel.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 51015 Pitreavie Castle
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8140

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 345