Central Baptist Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40020 30360, map


Address

9A Ward Rd
Dundee
DD1 1LP
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Ward Road Baptist Church

Introduction

This red sandstone building is part of a terrace in an area that formerly contained many religious establishments. The street is a busy thoroughfare to local businesses and the ring road.

Church Website

K Nichols, J Dowling


Description

Constructed in 1895, the opening ceremony of the church was held on the 1st of September. Including the cost of the land, the project amounted to £4,500. In 1922, extensive repairs, necessary due to dry rot, were carried out. A stained glass memorial window to those who fell in the Great War was installed at a cost of £343.

Only the north elevation, containing the ornate principal entrance, is visible although the spire and roof can be seen from some points to the south. Apart from the colour, the most distinctive feature is the central bay window. This has six strip windows with stone tracery and triangular pediments. Under this great window is a square moulding that surrounds the square windows of the ground level. The transepts to the east and west have hoodmoulded doorways. The east transept has an impressive Gothic style wooden door. The hoodmould over the west door covers a side window and traceried fanlight.

K. Nichols, J Dowling


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1895)
  • Church: Repair (1922)