Trinity Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 14480 89120, map


Address

Church Place
Crossgates
Fife
KY4 8DD
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Mossgreen Crossgates Church (1960)
  • Crossgates United Free Church (1900)
  • Crossgates Burgher Chapel (1802)
  • Trinity Church
    This is the present name of the church.

Introduction

Originally built as a Burgher chapel, this rubble built church is on the northern side of the village. There is a small birdcage bellcote on the eastern (entrance) elevation but it is likely that the original entrance was on the southern elevation, where a blocked door can be seen. The church was built in 1801-2 and originally shared a minister with the Queen Anne Street Church in Dunfermline. It was not until 1803 that the church was formally established and gained its own minister. This church is part of the Trinity Church congregation, which formed in 1998 when the West Church (site number: 7759), Cairns Church (site number: 7757), Hill of Beath Church (site number: 10660) and Crossgates Church united to form one parish. This church and the West Parish Church (renamed Trinity Church at this time) were kept and the other two churches were sold. There is a Garden of Peace to the south of the church, which was created to commemorate the two hundredth anniversary of the church.


Description (exterior)

The east entrance wall has dressed quoins and window and door surrounds. There is a central pointed arched doorway, which is possibly a later insertion. It is likely that the original entrance was through the now blocked doorway on the southern face and the current entrance was added when the interior layout was changed.   There is a pointed arched window above the doorway which has plain central panes with coloured margins. There is a small louvered pointed arched opening above the window and above this there is a blind quatrefoil.   The gable is topped by a birdcage bellcote with weathervane finial.

In the centre of the southern wall there is a blocked pointed arched door, which is likely to be the original entrance to the church and above this there is a stone panel. The door is flanked on either side by two tall pointed arched windows.

On the north wall, there are four pointed arched evenly spaced windows.   At the eastern end of the face, at first floor level, there is a blocked square headed opening which is possibly related to the gallery at this end of the building on the interior.

On the western elevation, there is a flat-roofed single storey vestry extension which is advanced from the centre of this elevation.   This has two small square headed windows and a square headed door on the return to the south.  Above the vestry, there is a small pointed arched louvered opening and blank quatrefoil above, thus mirroring the eastern elevation.

The church hall is directly to the north of the church building.


Description (interior)

The church is entered at the eastern end through a pointed arched doorway which is likely to be a later insertion, the original entrance being on the southern elevation (now blocked).   The current doorway leads into a porch with steps on the northern side leading up to gallery level. In the nave of the church there are three rows of fixed pews which face west.   It is likely that originally the pews were aligned north-south as the original entranceway was on the southern wall. The pews face towards the raised chancel at the western end of the church;   the church furnishings are in the chancel.  On the back wall of the chancel there are two doors which lead into the vestry extension. There is also a boarded up pointed arched window in this wall, for which stained glass is currently being commissioned. There is a gallery along the eastern wall of the nave, which is supported on cast iron columns.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929-NOWCurrent denomination.
Burgher ChurchDenomination1802-1900Original denomination.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1801 to 1802)
    But the church was not formally established until May 1803.
  • Church: Union (1900)
    Union with United Presbyterian to become United Free.
  • Church: New Denomination (1929)
    Joined with the Church of Scotland.
  • Church: Union (1948)
    Union with Mossgreen Church (site number: 10555).
  • Church: Repair (1950)
    Repairs were carried out on the roof.
  • Church: Union (1988)
    Union with Carins Church (site number: 7757), West Church (site number: 7759) and Hill of Beath Church (site number: 10660) to form part of the Trinity Church congregation.
  • Church: Installed (1997)
    New windows.
  • Church: Installed (2008/02)
    Memorial window installed.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8208

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 143
Some Notes on the History of the Crossgates Area in West FifeHunter, T. F2002pp. 206-228