Aberdour Franciscan Priory

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 19360 85670, map


Address

Aberdour
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

A Priory was founded here with Franciscan nuns in 1548 by James, Earl of Morton at a site close to what is now Aberdour's Main Street. More recent street names, including The Glebe and Lower Glebe suggests a monastic history in the area. The priory was secularised during the Reformation of 1560 and the land leased back to the Earl of Morton in a document dated 18 August 1560. There are no surface remains of the priory and it is not currently known if any archaeological excavations or research have been carried out in the past.

J Dowling 2017


Description (exterior)


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
James, Earl of MortonFounded priory1548

Events:

  • Nunnery/convent: Founded (1548)