Wood Memorial Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 49010 00080, map


Address

Bank Street
Elie
Fife
KY9 1BW
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Elie New Parish Church (1949)
  • Elie Free Church (1900)

Introduction

This church was built on Bank Street, Elie, between 1885 and 1887 by Arthur George Sydney Mitchell.   It was a Gothic style building which faced south onto Bank Street and was situated next to the Free Church (site number: 10545), which it replaced.   (The Free Church was then used as the church hall for the Wood Memorial Church.)

Wood Memorial Church had a south tower and gabled main cell and was surrounded by a high coped wall. In 1929 the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland were joined. For a time both churches were in use. Wood Memorial Church was closed in 1960 and demolished in 1962.


Description

This was a sandstone church with a slate roof.   It consisted of a gabled central cell with tall round-headed windows, and a south tower with spire.   The church was entered through a recessed door in the south face of the tower.    The tower was divided into four stages and topped by a corbelled parapet and spire.   It had a gabled stairtower.  


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Reverend Walter WoodClergyman1845-1882Walter Wood was a minister of Elie Free Church (site number: 10545) and the namesake of this site.
Mr Arthur George Sydney MitchellArchitect1885-1887Built the church.
Free ChurchDenomination1887-1900
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929-1960

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1885 to 1887)
    The church was built to replace Elie Free Church (site 10545) which became its church hall.
  • Church: Addition (1892)
    Additional seating was added to the church.
  • Church: Abandonment (1960)
    The church went out of use after it was decided that Elie only required one church for worship.
  • Church: Destruction/demolition (1962)
    The church was demolished. It possessions had been given or sold to other churches. Its stone was reused elsewhere.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: Wood Memorial Church
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 162066
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8417

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Elie Kirk, 350 Years 1639-1989Thomson, D.1989