Falkland East Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 25480 07470, map


Address

Falkland
Fife
KY15 7BX
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Falkland Church Hall (a1929)
    Shortly following the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, Falkland East united with Falkland Old and the former became the church hall.
  • Falkland East (1929)
    Following the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland, the church was known as Falkland East.
  • Falkland United Free Church (1900)
    In 1900 the United Presbyterian Church and The Free Church joined to become the United Free Church.
  • Falkland Free Church (1845)
    Original name.

Introduction

This church was opened in 1845 as a Free Church. It is on high ground in the centre of the village, facing west towards the palace and parish church. Historic Scotland's listed building description noted that it was converted into a hall but it has since been converted into a single house and the surrounding grounds have been landscaped and laid out as gardens and a driveway.

 


Description (exterior)

This is a sandstone building, coursed on its western elevation and rubble built elsewhere. It is gable ended and has a Scottish slate roof.

The east elevation, which is gable ended, faces away from the town on to green fields. It is capped by a plain stack, below which is a round vent and five arched windows with double glazing framing a glazed door.

To the south, it faces onto a driveway and has three tall arched windows, all with double glazing. The central window is inserted under the line of a gable, part of the roof of a southern extension extending out from the wall to form a roofless rectangle. This may have been a vestry.

The western elevation faces towards the parish church. It has two four light Y tracery windows with modern glazing. Above these is a circular louvered vent with the inscription 'Free Church' around the outside of the opening.  The gable is capped by a clasping bellcote with a pinnacled spire.

Surrounding buildings make the north elevation inaccessible.  


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Reverend Thomas BurnsideClergyman1845Minister at Falkland Free Church from its opening in 1845. Minister at Falkland Free Church at its opening in 1845. Ordained 23rd January 1845.
Free ChurchDenomination1845-1900The building was built as a Free Church between 1844 and 1845.
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929In 1900 the church became a United Free Church.
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929In 1929 the church became Church of Scotland and then a hall for the parish church.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1844 to 1845)
    The church was built. Prior to this communion took place on the West Green and then at the Congregational Church.
  • Church: Opening (1845)
    Second Sunday of March 1845.
  • Church: Ordination (1845)
    The Rev. Thomas Burnside was ordained on 23rd January 1845.
  • Church: Union (1900)
    The Free Church joined with the United Presbyterians to form the United Free Church.
  • Church: Union (1929)
    The United Free Church joined The Church of Scotland.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Falkland Free Church, Session Minutes, 1845-1921 - HardcopyReference: CH3/357/1
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 31293
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8418

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 218