Williamson Memorial Unitarian Christian Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 40053 30704, map


Address

Dudhope Street
Dundee
DD1 1JT
Scotland

Introduction

The current church in Dudhope Street was built in 1969 to allow the original building to be demolished to make way for the city inner ring road. The architect is unknown but is thought to be one of the Dundee Council Architects at the time. The church was dedicated on 13th December and there is a list of ministers on display. To this should be added the Rev Whyteman who served until March of this year when the current minister Sandra Ogilvie was inducted.

Alan Gordon, 2012


Description

The Original church was built in 1870 and dedicated on 20th November of that year. It was one of only 4 Unitarian Churches in Scotland. The church stood on Constitution Road, but all that remains is a gate post next to Constitution house at the junction with the Marketgait.

The church was founded in 1785 and one of their first ministers, Thomas Fyshe Palmer, was deported to Australia in 1793 for distributing pamphlets. This was a crime at that time as he was preaching against established doctrine. After serving his 15 year sentence he set sail for home but sadly died during the passage. The current church contains many features from the earlier building but the windows were removed to the Unitarian church in Aberdeen. Among the items on display is the Dunkirk Veterans Association flag which was laid up in the original building.

Church Website


Events:

  • Church: Founded (1969)