Kinglassie Former Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NT 23050 98690, map


Address

Main Street
Kinglassie
Fife
Scotland

Introduction

The Free Church in the former mining village of Kinglassie was constructed in 1844 following the Disruption in 1843. The church is set on the main road in the village and is separated from the pavement by a low flat coped whinstone rubble wall which is topped with iron railings. At the eastern end of the precinct there is a paved car parking area with harled gatepost piers and an iron fence. There is an L-shaped porch at the eastern end of the building. The church was converted into a private house in 2003, when modern Velux skylights were inserted, and the interior was divided into two floors.


Description (exterior)

The church is rectangular, constructed mainly of squared and snecked dark whinstone with a slate roof, and sandstone roof ridges.   The west, north and east elevations have recently been harled and whitewashed,

On the south side, there are three pointed arched windows (originally traceried but now with modern glazine);   the surrounds are sandstone.   There are three timber louvered dormers at the top of the roof which are likely to be late nineteenth century additions, and now three modern Velux skylights.   At the eastern end of the main body of the building there is a single storey porch which is also possibly a late nineteenth century addition. The porch is roofed in slate, not laid in diminishing courses, which may have been recovered from the original roof of the church building. There is an advanced gabled bay on the eastern face of the porch, with a pointed arched door set in an ashlar door case. On the apex of the bay there is a small stone cross finial. On the return to the east there is a small square headed window.

The west elevation has asingle pointed arched window with sandstone margins and modern glazing, which eplaced the original Y-traceried window. There is a decorative stone finial on the apex of the gable.

Pointed arched windows at each of the outer edges of the northern elevation have modern glazing in place of the original quarries of coloured glass. In the centre of the face there is a glazed pointed arched patio door which appears to be a recent insertion. As on the southern side, the roof has been recently covered with non-Scottish slate and has had three Velux skylights inserted into it at the base (the central skylight is smaller than the outer two).


The lower section of the east gable is obscured by the advance single storey porch.   There is an original chimney stack on the apex of the porch gable.    On the eastern face of the advanced bay of the porch the whinstone has been left exposed. There is a small square headed window in the advanced bay. On the apex of the main gable is the original church bellcote. 

The church is rectangular, constructed mainly of squared and snecked dark whinstone with a slate roof, and sandstone roof ridges.   The west, north and east elevations have recently been harled and whitewashed,

On the south side, there are three pointed arched windows (originally traceried but now with modern glazine);   the surrounds are sandstone.   There are three timber louvered dormers at the top of the roof which are likely to be late nineteenth century additions, and now three modern Velux skylights.   At the eastern end of the main body of the building there is a single storey porch which is also possibly a late nineteenth century addition. The porch is roofed in slate, not laid in diminishing courses, which may have been recovered from the original roof of the church building. There is an advanced gabled bay on the eastern face of the porch, with a pointed arched door set in an ashlar door case. On the apex of the bay there is a small stone cross finial. On the return to the east there is a small square headed window.

The west elevation has asingle pointed arched window with sandstone margins and modern glazing, which eplaced the original Y-traceried window. There is a decorative stone finial on the apex of the gable.

Pointed arched windows at each of the outer edges of the northern elevation have modern glazing in place of the original quarries of coloured glass. In the centre of the face there is a glazed pointed arched patio door which appears to be a recent insertion. As on the southern side, the roof has been recently covered with non-Scottish slate and has had three Velux skylights inserted into it at the base (the central skylight is smaller than the outer two).


The lower section of the east gable is obscured by the advance single storey porch.   There is an original chimney stack on the apex of the porch gable.    On the eastern face of the advanced bay of the porch the whinstone has been left exposed. There is a small square headed window in the advanced bay. On the apex of the main gable is the original church bellcote.


Description (interior)


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free ChurchDenomination1844

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1844)
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (2003)
    Converted into a private dwelling.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 43666
Scran - Online databaseReference: 000-000-025-778-CImage: Edwina Proudfoot
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 8928

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 273