Corrie Former Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NS 02520 42900, map


Address

A841
Corrie
Arran
Bute
KA27 8JB
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Kirklea

Introduction

The former Free Church of Corrie, located on the main town road and facing the shore.


Description (exterior)

Built of red sandstone, rectangular plan, with equilateral arches to its lancet windows and doors, and prominent buttresses with decorative finials at its corners, reflecting Early English Architecture.  Slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Arched, stained glass windows with a simple Art Nouveau design run along each side of the nave, and a larger pair are installed at the eastern gable end. A single transept is built onto the southern wall near the western end.


Description (interior)

Internal walls appear finished with white plaster. Wooden wainscoting, c. 80cm high, runs along the base of the walls. A small circular window is inset into the stone wall behind the pulpit on the western end. Roof is intricately timber-framed with internal wooden buttresses, forming a flat top and sloping sides. Pews are centrally located with narrow isles running along each side.


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Free Church of Scotlanddenomination

Events:

  • Church: Built (1894)
  • Listed (1994)
  • Closed (1998)
  • Converted into two private homes (2003 to 2004)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 146093
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 13436

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
The vanished and disappearing churches of Arran.Mills, Colin J.E.2007