Lochee Ex Free-UF-East ParishChurch

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 37888 31650, map


Address

High Street
High St, Lochee
Dundee
Forfarshire
DD2 3AY

Introduction

The East Free church was situated on the north-east corner of Lochee where the High Street meets Methven Street (Brown Street). An OS map of 1961 indicates its presence at that time and is illustrated in a local history book. The church was demolished sometime after that and the site is presently occupied by a retail outlet.

K. Nichols

This church was probably formed in 1843 and the churchwas built in 1845-1846. The interior was re-ordered on 1890. In 1900 it became East United Free Church at the union with the United Presbyterian Church and then in 1929 East Parish Church at the union with the Church of Scotalnd. It united with St Ninian's Church in 1959 and the church closed. The building was sold in 1960 and subsequently demolished.


Description

The church had an attached tower at the west end, with a clock face and metal crown supporting a finial or spire. The church had round-arched windows with simple tracery and the ends of the gables had pinnacles. There were three round-arched windows along the side arms.


Events:

  • Church formed (1843 (about))
  • Church built (1845 to 1846)
  • Interior re-ordered (1890)
  • Union with the United Presbyterian Church (1900)
  • Union with the Church of Scotland (1929)
  • Church closed on Union with St Ninian's Churc (1959 uncertified)
    Church was sold in 1960 and demolished soon after

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dundee Reference Library - Online databaseReference: Digital archive and photographs
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 9067

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Old Lochee and round aboutAW Brotchie1992p8 for Free Church image
Lost DundeeC McKean and P Whatley2008p74