Aberlemno Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 52400 56100, map


Address

By Mansefield, Aberlemno
Angus
DD8 3PE
Scotland

Introduction

Aberlemno Free Church was located alongside a small rural road, just outside the community of Aberlemno. It was built in 1843 with a large manse alongside. The congregation later united with Church of Scotland in 1929 and the church later became redundant. It was demolished in the 1940s but the manse was sold off and is now privatelly owned.

The likely site of the church has been located, alongside the old manse. It is within a small, overgrown field and a new building is currently under construction, with some recent foundations layed and piles of stone rubble and earth. Some of the stonework may be from the demolished church, as there are fragments of tooled and dressed sandstone among the piles of debris.


Events:

  • Church built (1843)
  • Small extension built (1847)
  • Church demolished (1944)

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 9381

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
A Short History of Aberlemno Kirk1982p3
Aberlemo, The Heart of Angus: A Short HistoryI Jackson1986