St Ninian's Parish Church, Methven Street, Dundee

National Grid Reference (NGR): SV .0000 .0000, map


Address

Methven Street
Lochee
Dundee
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Chapel of Ease
  • St. Ninian's
    Had parish church status until 1843 Disruption

Introduction

This Georgian box construction sits on a corner site at the north of Locheee's High Street close to the gates of the former Camperdown mill works. With a fair amount of land around each side its western components go north up Bright St. and there is a walled eastern boundary. The front of the grounds has a low wall with rails and a double gate leading to the entrance steps. The church has undergone various name changes. See also Lochee Old & St. Luke's Church.

K. Nichols


Description

This parish church was built in 1830 by David Neave near the works gate of a factory in Lochee. It is a plain box kirk of polished ashlar sandstone with two storeys, shallow pilasters and ornamental cornice. Above is a pediment containing a round window. A pleasant three-stage stone spire rises above the pediment. The first stage is square with metal grilles at the round-headed openings. The second stage is octagonal with round windows. The spire itself has carved shells at the corners and metal ladder rungs on the north side. The church was in full ecclesiastical use until the 1843 Disruption. J. Dowling, K. Nichols.


Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1830)
    People: David Neave

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
www.geocities.comJune 2008lochee churches Lochee churches