Cameron Parish Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 48450 11630, map


Address

Cameron
Fife
KY16 8PD
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Cameron linked with StAndrews: StLeonard's (2013)

Introduction

Cameron separated from the parish of St Andrews and St Leonards in the middle of the seventeenth century.   The present parish church at Cameron was built in 1808 on the site of an earlier building dating from 1645.   It stands in a graveyard which surrounds the church to the east, north and south;   burials date from the seventeenth to the twentieth century.   The church looks over agricultural land, near to Cameron reservoir.


Description (exterior)

Cameron Parish Church is a simple rectangular building, aligned east-west in a large graveyard that pre-dates the church. The church is built from a mixture of sandstone and whinstone rubble and has a slate roof. The south elevation has four large, round-arch windows that flood the interior with light. They feature multiple panes of clear glazing and simple tracery detail. The west gable of the church has two rectangular doorways - one enters the nave and the other provides entry to the galleries above. On the apex is a fine ashlar bellcote with carved legs and a pyramidal top. A chimney in the south-west corner suggests a boiler room or small vestry is or was located within. The east gable of the church has a single rectangular door in the southeast corner. There is an unexplained vertical strip of stone towards the northern edge of the wall and another running though a patch of whinstone near the bottom of the wall. (It is possible that this represents some reuse of material from the earlier church.The north elevation of the church displays a mixture of stonework which suggests reused fabric from the earlier church. There are two square-headed windows high in the wall, to light the gallery. Another square-headed window is at ground level. The north porch, which is an addition, has a lean-to slate roof and is built from a mixture of sandstone and whinstone rubble. It is entered through a square headed door on the west, which appears to have been inserted. Above this is a small slit opening. A square headed window is in the north wall. The lower half of the east wall is built from sandstone and the upper half is of whinstone.


Description (interior)

The interior of Cameron Parish Church is fairly typical of many rural churches and it retains almost all of its original features and fittings. The pulpit and sanctuary are placed centrally against the south elevation, with a wooden communion table in front. A small wooden pipe organ is placed at the eastern side of the sanctuary. Wooden pews face the pulpit and there are several original box or family pews with the names still painted on the pew ends. Above is a large horse-shoe type gallery on three sides, which faces the pulpit and sanctuary below. Access to the galleries are provided by doorways and stairs at the east and west ends of the church.

J Dowling 2017


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
Church of ScotlandDenomination1808-NOWThe present church was built in 1808, replacing an earlier church of 1645.
Gillespie and ScottArchitect1902architects. Reseated and refloored the church.

Events:

  • Graveyard: Founded (1645)
  • Church: Build/construction (1808)
    The church was built.
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1902)
    The galleried interior was altered in 1902 when it was reseated and refloored.
  • Porch: Build/construction (c1900 uncertified)
    The porch was added some time after the church was built, as evidenced by the fact that it blocked one of the gallery windows.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 980
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M008401
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 32961
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 33012
Records of Cameron Kirk Session - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH2/49
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 142

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 120