Former Carnbee Free Church

National Grid Reference (NGR): NO 51330 05040, map


Address

Carnbee Hall
Main Road
Arncroach
Fife
KY10 2RL
Scotland

Also known as:

  • Carnbee Hall (current)
  • Carnbee and Bonerbo United Free Church (1921)
  • Carnbee United Free Church (1900)
  • Arncroach Free Church (1845)

Introduction

This church was built between 1844 and 1845 and was converted to a hall by Lawrence Anderson Rolland in 1955. The church faces east onto a road and is surrounded by a gravel yard and low, coped wall.


Description (exterior)

The small rectangular church is harled, and consists of a gabled, central cell with small gabled porches to the north, east and west.

The east elevation has two windows set in pointed arches with modern, latticed glazing. Between them is a gabled porch. A bellcote with a small, copper bell inside is on the gable end. The east porch is built of ashlar and gabled with a Scottish slate roof. It was formerly entered through a shouldered, arched door in its north elevation, which is now blocked. To the east is a small, rectangular window with modern latticed glazing.

The south elevation has three shouldered arches with modern glazing. To the east of the windows is a small, rectangular glazed opening. To the west is a gabled porch, which is harled and gabled. It has a Scottish slate roof. It is entered through a recessed, shouldered arch.

The west elevation has two shouldered arches with modern glazing and a small, square-headed window alongside.

The north elevation has a small rectangular window with modern latticed glazing, and a shouldered arch.   To the east of the porch is a wooden, lean-to extension. The north porch is harled and gabled with a Scottish slate roof. It is entered through a square-headed door in the east elevation.


Description (interior)

The interior is adapted for use as a hall, but furnishings and vessels for occasional church services have been retained.

 


People / Organisations:

NameRoleDatesNotes
United Free ChurchDenomination1900-1929The church was a United Free church from 1900 when the Free Church joined with The United Presbyterian Church.
Free ChurchDenomination1845-1900The church was built as a Free Church in 1845, although the charge was not sanctioned until 1851.
Church of ScotlandDenomination1929In 1929 the Free Church and the Church of Scotland were united. The congregation was joined with that of Carnbee and the church at Arncroach was converted into a hall shortly afterwards.
Lawrence Anderson RollandArchitect19551937 Converted the church into a hall.

Events:

  • Church: Build/construction (1845)
  • Church: Opening (1851)
    The charge was sanctioned.
  • Church: Union (1900)
    Following the union of the Free Church and the United Free Church, the church became Carnbee United Free Church.
  • Church: Custodial Transfer (1921)
    The name of the church was changed to Carnbee and Bonerbo.
  • Church: Union (1929)
    The United Free Church joined with the Church of Scotland and the congregation joined with that of Carnbee Parish Church
  • Church: Alteration/conversion (1955)
    The church was converted into a hall.

Archive References:

NameReferenceNotes
Dictionary of Scottish Architects - Online databaseReference: M032175
Historic Scotland Listed Building Reports - Online databaseView HS Listing Online: 2501
Canmore - Online database View Canmore Report Online: 34050
Records of Carnbee Free Church, United Free - HardcopyReference: GB 227 CH3/1030
CSA: Inventory of Scottish Church Heritage - HardcopyReference: 991
Scottish Church Heritage Research Archive - Offline databaseReference: 991

Bibliographic References:

NameAuthorDateNotes
Buildings of Scotland: FifeGifford, J1988p. 75